Thursday, November 18, 2010

Inspired By Maxine...

When did 23 turn into 30? Growing up, filling out. A well-rounded individual, I am not. I still pine for self-assurance and sometimes even self-confidence. (Although, that part is slowly growing and it's all thanks to the mantra: "I'm fierce".) Clothing changed; I now wear hats far more often and am never far from a sweater. I spent the summer with bare arms for the first time in my life.

When the wind blows my back aches and I hug myself to keep warm. Ibuprofen is never far from my arthritic hands and the pharmacy has begun putting easy-open lids on my myriad of pills. I do yoga to keep me limber and follow it with coffee and conversation with a trusted friend to keep me going.

My body has aged but my spirit is still lagging behind in my mid-twenties. At 30, I pierced my nose, moved to the city, and went back to college. Being surrounded by youngsters is keeping me fresh. (Did I really just refer to them as youngsters?) I pore over textbooks and write papers that deserve and receive the coveted A's that will take me into Grad school and deliver me as faculty someday. At 30 I am racking up school loans that will take the rest of my days to pay off. I'm okay with that.

I deleted those who kept me down and whose drama I let spill into my life. I now spend my precious time with friends who support me like a good bra (which we all know is hard to find) and help me grow into the woman I'm becoming.

By 31, I'll be married to my best friend. I make adult decisions and opened a savings account. I stopped procrastinating and learned that I love lists. I have a love/hate relationship with my daily planner because I find myself forgetting things with a bit more ease.

At 30, I still don't have it all figured out. I'll let you know what 40 brings.

0 loves left: