Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bring On The Illiterate Queers...

I'm thinking hard about my possibilities for the summer...Non-Profit Career Expo at school on Thursday.  What a fantastic way to get my foot in the door...but, am I ready to get into the workforce after everything that happened the last time?  Plus, planning a wedding for the middle of June means I wouldn't be able to start working with a Non-Prof until after that.  Which is the last week of June. 

I know I couldn't continue working there throughout the year because of school and The Campus Citizen.  Those are two things I'm not willing to slack off on to keep working. The newspaper will be majorly taking off and printing 2ce a month.  As an Editor, I really need to concentrate on that and school.  The newspaper will be a definite positive mark on my writer's resume...but I'm not going into journalism.  I'm going into grant writing and philanthropy.

I seriously wonder if I'm even marketable.  There are going to be representatives from Indy Reads and Indiana Youth Group.  Both are places that would suit me well.  Indy Reads is a literacy program for Indianapolis and the IYG is a group dedicated to helping GLBTQIA teenagers. 

If I had a choice...it would be the IYG.  With everything I went through as a teenager, I truly think I have something to offer these kids.  But, I also have a passion for literacy.  My grandmother instilled that love of books and words in me and I'd love to do something with it to honor her memory.  If only I could combine them!  Where are the queer teens who can't read?  I'd be perfect for them...

0 loves left: